Scope of work: Replacement of roof, roof drains and skylight; installation of new, in-kind windows, masonry repairs and cleaning
Once used by the Central Georgia Railway to conduct maintenance on rolling stock, the c.1923 brick Coach Shop at the Georgia Railroad Museum needed extensive repairs when the Coastal Heritage Society (CHS) undertook its stabilization effort on the building in 2009.
As curator of buildings for CHS, Stewart Dohrman oversaw the project, which included the restoration of the roof structure including badly rusted roof trusses and skylight framing and installation of new 2” thick tongue and groove roof decking. A new roof was installed making it watertight for the first time since the building was abandoned by the railroad in the 1960’s.
Additional work to the building included masonry restoration of all four walls including several arches, hazardous material remediation work, restoration of several steel windows and procuring new steel windows built with the historic arrowhead profile.
Fully documenting the building and its contents was a key part of the project and included the exterior and interior structure as well as existing flooring and steel benches, found tools and other ephemera, leading to HABS quality drawings of the building.
Mr. Dohrman also led the efforts of the CHS Design Team and several architecture and engineering firms to create the design for the future expansion of the Savannah Children’s Museum, to be housed inside the Coach Shop and the adjacent Paint Shops.