Scope of work: Exterior restoration, structural restoration, documentation, infrastructure, underground tunnel for future expansion.
Much like the neighboring Coach Shop, the c.1923 Paint Shop on the grounds of the Georgia State Railroad Museum was used for the general maintenance of the Central Georgia Railway’s rolling stock. After the building was decommissioned in the 1960s, however, the building remained vacant and unused, and fell into disrepair.
The Coastal Heritage Society began efforts to restore and repurpose the building in the early 2000s, beginning with removal of; moss, plants and hazardous materials and the restoration of the building’s shell. Stewart Dohrman was the curator of buildings for Coastal Heritage Society through this period. The massive sawtooth wood and steel roof structure and two-inch thick decking was rotten or rusted out completely in places. Rusted trusses and columns that had deteriorated were restored and all steel work was repainted in the original color scheme and a new roof membrane was installed. Many of the original arrowhead profile steel windows were restored and reinstalled and the huge wood doors were fully documented and rebuilt reusing original stiles and rails where possible.
This property is now used for special events and is an integral part of the Georgia State Railroad Museum.